Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Eyes Are Our Center


Eyes. The human eye is a beautiful and powerful part of us that makes us who we are. Eyes tell the stories we may have never wanted anyone to hear. Eyes hold our deepest secrets, desires, fears and joys.






They are a part of our body that we can never change unlike the look and color of our hair. Hair fads continuously change according to what's in.

But do eyes ever have fads? The answer to this is no. Fads about how we decorate ours with makeup certainly change, but not the eyes themselves. This shows how personal our eyes are and how they are ours and only ours.

Eyes are almost like a window into our deepest feelings and insecurities. As you can see by the pictures I have provided, eyes evoke emotion. Just by looking at someone's eyes, you can tell what they are feeling. Sad eyes are different from happy eyes which are different from scared eyes, etc. Although many people are really good at hiding their emotions, eyes cannot hold a secret. They can a hold a secret almost as well as a 4 year old. Even a simple eye roll can upset a parent or friend. Why are they such a part of who we are?

Eyes can also be a source for submissiveness and challenge. Girls are taught from a young age to never stare into the eyes of a male for too long because that is disrespectful and may seem like a challenge. I even catch myself saying hello to one of my male friends but then quickly looking away. I do not do this intentionally and I kick myself every time for doing it, but it has been engraved into me and the way that I present myself to men. Eyes can also be a form of challenge like in dogs and other mammals. When two people fight (verbal or physical) there is a lot of eye contact. When someone breaks the stare, that person is looked at as the loser and is going to get their ass kicked.

In the book The Bluest Eye, eyes are significant because even though the girls may not openly tell their stories when someone looks at them, they can guess what they have been through. Once again I will relate my blog to Pecola trying to make her whole body disappear, but is unsuccessful. She knows her eyes cannot change no matter how bad she wants them to because they are hers and she has only seen through her lens and also no one has seen through hers. She has seen too much to let her eyes just disappear and not be a part of who she is. People stare at her after what they heard happened to her and the power of a stare creeps into her and causes her want for blue eyes to be even more extreme.

Eyes are such a small part of our overall appearance, but eyes are the place that hold who we are and what we have been through. How can something so small and seemingly unimportant be so powerful?

Being partially blind in one eye, I constantly think people are judging me when they stare at my eyes. I know they cannot see my blindness, but I can't help but feel like that's all people see when they look into my big, blue eyes.

Do you want to change your eyes? How would you change your eyes to make them be what you wanted? Have you ever said you hated your eyes?



1 comment:

  1. Even though eyes are such a small part of our overall anatomy, maybe the reason why they're so important is that they are the only way that we see the world. We live very visually, and I think eyes can act as a sort of two way mirror between us and the people we come in contact with.
    As for your last few questions, personally I have a love hate relationship with my eyes. I've worn glasses since first grade, and people definitely look at me differently when I wear them. Now I would like to say I never wear my glasses because I have special contacts I have to wear everyday, but that's not completely true. Like you said, eyes are powerful and they tell a lot about us, and i think that if they're "damaged" in some way it changes the perspective with which you see the world and they see you. It's not in a bad way, but more in the sense of you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I love my eyes, but I totally understand and agree with what you said about people looking into your eyes.

    ReplyDelete