Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fashion: A Trivial Pursuit?

"Raise your hand if you're a feminist," asked my freshman year English professor. Assuming that most students identified as such, I shot my hand up immediately. But as soon as I realized that I was the only person with a hand up, I pretended to scratch my cheek and quickly put my hand back on my desk. I was confused. The professor did not share my confusion, I assume he had posed this question each semester and received the same sea of shrugs. One brave student volunteered why she did not consider herself a feminist, "they're so abrasive, plus I like girly stuff." Whoa there! I like girly stuff, too. I looked down at my dress, tights and heeled boots, so relieved that my professor hadn't seen my hand up. I had been a phony feminist and I didn't even know it! Lucky for me, my professor didn't agree with the student. He instead gave us his own definition of feminist, "you're a feminist if you care about women's issues, men's issues... human issues." Phew!

My credibility has been called into question several times since then because of my feminine, often trendy, dress. Fashion, a pursuit that goes hand in hand with popular notions of femininity, is seen as a frivolous preoccupation rather than a genuine interest. Beyond that, fashion is presumed to be at odds with feminism. The fashion/beauty industry has created and shaped the unattainable beauty standards that cause many women and men to feel inadequate and ugly. At the same time, the history of this industry is rich with stories of female entrepreneurs, especially women of color. Selling hair care products made Madame C. J. Walker the first black, female, self-made millionaire American! The stigmatization of feminine pursuits has kept fashion from making its way into academia, where its history and cultural significance could potentially be further explored. In Spring 2011 Professor Treckel began offering a history of women's fashion course, one of the first of its kind on our campus. I was lucky enough to be a part of that the class and within the first few weeks I began to realize the rich, complex history of the beauty industry. Fashion is not a frivolous interest; it is a highly influential practice with tight ties to multiple aspects of our culture. Taking part in this practice should not be a reason to have your credibility called into question.

5 comments:

  1. This is an interesting way to look at/think of the feminist movement. I never really identified as a feminist until this class because I never saw the point. Yes I advocate women's rights and all but I never understood the name behind it. Your look on things helped shed a new light on what being a feminist should be. I like shopping and making sure my clothes match, but that doesn't mean I can't also be a feminist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this, because I think fashion and feminism are very misunderstood when placed together. Your story about your English class is one that I have heard many times before when people think the fashion is disassociated from being a feminist. I am not huge on fashion or anything (jeans and sweatshirts fill my wardrobe, but I love that your professor said that being a feminist just means that you care about all peoples rights. I think more people should define feminism like this that way feminists like myself and many others would not get scorned at when we discuss feminist issues.

    I agree with you when you said that fashion has direct ties to multiple aspects of our society. Because, well it is true! Being involved in fashion or enjoying looking nice should not call into question anyone's feminist identity. Keep stylin Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be this common misconception that any and all feminists have to be cranky, irritable women that look like, well, men.

    But, obviously, it's just that: A misconception. And I think part of the reason why that exists is because, as a society, we've simply accepted that because we don't really talk about it as much anymore, women are inherently equal to men.

    And sure, compared to 100 years ago, they are much more equal. But I think we have simply taken that point for granted, and conceded that because they are 'mostly equal' there still isn't room for improvement. So there's this delusion that the women who are fighting for even greater equality must be outsiders or something. Or just delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There does seem to be a correlation between looking beautiful and fashion. Many big guns of the fashion industry aim themselves to look as good as possible, as tantalizing to the male gaze.

    With that said, there is also a stigma about being a feminist, that they could be construed as being homosexual - I'm just saying!! Although this is not necessarily true, I can see where someone might come from here. As an ignorant straight male, I have a sheltered opinion of this topic, but see where someone might go from saying that you're "illegitimate." It's not fair - and goes back to being able to express yourself in whichever way you seek - but I guess that's the essence of our society, in whatever direction you look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visceral reactions to "feminism" or "feminist", in my experience, come from fear. It is easier to tarnish the agent who wants change than to admit that change is needed. For some, change will require giving up privilege and perspective=power. Power is never given away freely, and I think it is important to scratch the surface "inherently equal." All men were created equal, but in its inception, that meant that only some men="all men". Yes, change happens; rarely without people standing up and saying "enough...I see what is unfair and unjust." Fashion, and its history can be a part of feminism, but to say that a feminist is not fashionable is a stereotype intended to keep more women from joining the cause. Hmmm...perhaps that is (consciously or unconsciously) purposeful.

    ReplyDelete