Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or in the eye of marketing executives?

What is attractive? What is beautiful? While the answers to these questions may seemingly be subjective and variant to the person answering, the barrage of images in the media clearly defines for people what beauty looks like.

Although this is embarrassing for me to admit now, I feel it necessary to relate my own thought processes through the years. The only defense of character I have is that I was a young, confused child that wanted desperately to be liked. I wanted to be considered beautiful. Mind you, I wanted many other things, an Ivy League education not the least of my wishes, but being considered beautiful was one of my priorities. The heroines in the books I read and in the movies I watched were always described as “beautiful.” Granted, their physical appearance went hand in hand with their smart, brave, and sassy personalities, but beauty was undoubtedly a prerequisite. If I wanted to be a fearless, sarcastic, rebellion leader like Princess Leia in Star Wars, I also had to look good in a metal bikini. And if I wanted to the independent, smart, and defiant Ella in the book Ella Enchanted, I would have to be pretty enough to catch the eye of the hot, young prince.

As an adolescent, I merely wished for people to consider me beautiful. It never occurred to me that there were steps I could take to make people think this. I only knew that there were “pretty people” out there in the world and I wanted to be one of them. But as I got older and became more exposed to popular culture I increasingly realized that there were concrete physical attributes that came together to create a beautiful person.

By the age of 12, I was well aware of who, and what, was considered beautiful. I was told by TV specials like the E! Network’s “100 Most Beautiful Celebrity Bodies” that Jessica Alba’s skin had “a dewy glow” which was one reason why she was one of the “sexiest women alive.” I didn’t understand what “dewy glow” meant, but I knew that I wanted it. I was also told that large breasts, curvy hips, and a flat stomach were also viewed as physically appealing. After finding out that there were particular physical traits one needed to be pretty, I no longer wished for people to see me as beautiful. I now wished for specific physical traits that, if possessed, would automatically endow someone with beauty. From that point on I made an inventory in my head as to the physical characteristics I needed to have in order to get pretty. Looking back on this now, it is obvious that the traits I wanted to have did not originate from my own mind and were instead, planted into my consciousness by something said or seen in media images. For example, I wanted to have a long neck like Keria Knightley’s for it added a sense of femininity and delicacy to the figure that was attractive to guys. (Honestly, you think I could have come up with this stuff on my own!? It’s way to detailed and obscure for a 12 year old mind to analyze the human neck like that.) I wanted to be 5’6” tall because after a in depth logical analysis I decided that 5’6” was the perfect height, for it was not too tall as to make yourself tower over men, yet it was not too short to make your limbs appear stumpy. Among the myriad of other attributes I felt I needed to embody were: small feet, small nose, clear skin, etc.

The “ideal body” I envisioned would have ended up looking like a Frankenstein monster if it was to manifest in real life. Looking back, it seems perverted and unsettling that I broke down physical attributes of individuals in an attempt to form what I thought was the ideal.
The time and energy I put into thinking about all this was pointless. I spent most of my early teen years praying for a growth spurt that would put me inches above my current 5’3”. I wanted to be tall enough to model, or at least be a contestant on America’s Next Top Model even if it didn’t bring me any real modeling jobs. The probability of me ever growing to a height of model was pretty slim considering that the “tall one” in my family, my older brother, barely measures in at 5’9”.

My mindset was destructive for several reasons. First, I lost much time in my childhood that, if I could go back and redo my early teen years, I would spend time reading and studying. (Better yet, I could have developed a talent at speed reading – that way college might have ended up being a little easier for me now since I would be able to skim through course materials quickly.) Second, my self-esteem was lowered because I couldn’t reach that unreachable beauty standard.
I don’t believe this beauty standard was entirely my own conception. The messages I received from magazines, advertisements, films, television and other media sources provided me with images and commentary told me what was attractive. Entire magazine articles were devoted to distributing tips and guidelines on how to best achieve certain physical forms. I came to learn that it was my responsibility to ensure that others viewed me as pretty.

By the time I turned 17 I realized my insane ways and reformed. I started doing other things with my time than just reading magazines and watching TV. I became informed in the realities of the world, and how the media constructs how we view beauty in others. I also discovered that there were more important things in life to aspire to be than just pretty. That, I wanted people to like me for things that I could control, and not just judge me based on my body which is something a person cannot, to a large extent, control. I was born looking the way I do and no matter how much time, energy and money I devote to trying to change my looks I cannot completely morph into someone else body is. Dedicating my mind to achieving impossible beauty standards is pointless. If someone chooses to think of me as pretty then so be it; but if someone doesn’t think I’m pretty I shouldn’t care because there is nothing I could do about it anyways.
As we’ve discussed in class, media advertisements create and depict an image of what women and men should look like. The message these images send is that if one doesn’t look like the individuals in these pictures then that person is not the ideal that all should aspire to look like.
When I was in my teens, I was naïve and thought magazines and advertisements displayed how people are supposed to look. But now I see media images for what they are: inventions, formed from a media executives mind, that through the use of digital retouching, airbrushing, and makeup, can mix and match physical attributes to form an image that is impossible for a person to attain in real life. The people depicted in advertisements do not really exist, and thus the beauty those images represent is imaginary.

Nowadays, at the wise old age of 20, I can easily ignore magazines articles that list what is beautiful. But if people suggest that the images the media, advertisements, film, television, etc. produce have no effect on the conscious of the public I can use my own childhood turmoil as a counterargument.

9 comments:

  1. It feels so empowering to state that there reaches a point when the poison that seeps from the media no longer has the power to affect us. I too would like to believe that my perceptions of beauty are severed from those of the constricting magazine articles. The rather terrifying truth though is that no matter our personal beliefs and firm refusal to give into false ideals, the flick of an eye is enough to imprint even the smallest of messages.
    I know that the presented perfection is impossible, and I know that I am who I am and I must accept that. And yet, I still demand of myself a certain presentability and demand of others a similar standard.
    If only instead of changing our own perceptions we could simply change the media format!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why its not considered false advertisement the various pictures featured in ads. The images that we as consumers are made to believe are real have been so digitally altered that the images are essentially, in the end, fantasies. I agree that the misconceptions we are sold via media, have a MASSIVE effect on children. What we believe to be beautiful manifests at a young age and the media plays an essential role to how we define the word "beauty." I feel like us "wise" individuals who eventually grow to understand how the media works are fortunate. But what about the people who have developed self esteem issues and psychological/eating disorders because they do not identify wit the image that our culture defines as beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is almost impossible to erase years of being exposed to the media's messages about beauty. Even though I am aware the media's constructed and fake beauty, it is hard to escape the need to look a certain way. Personally, I got my first ideas about what I should look and behave like from Disney Princess movies. From that early of an age, I was bombarded with images of what it meant to be beautiful and perfect. From these movies I developed ideas about what I wanted my hair to look like, what I wanted my prince to look like and what I wanted my clothes to look like. Everything had to deal with appearance; never would I question why a princess was unable to save herself. A seemingly simple child’s movie created desires within me for perfection. I wonder what would happen if a child was raised completely away from the media. Would they have low self-esteem? Would they feel the need to look a certain way? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, I completely agree with you. Certainly, we can gain the wisdom to disregard the messages the media sends us, but I think we are conditioned to process the images whether we want to or not. As for being raised away from the media, a study was done on the indiginous people of Fiji which demonstrated exactly what you are proposing. The Fijians didn't have access to TV until 1995. Before TV was introduced, being heavier indicated status and the ability to provide for oneself and one's family. However, after Tv became readily available, body image (in teenage girls in particular) rapidly declined and the incidence of eating disorders increased drastically. Its clear that the media establishes the concept of the ideal body and drills into us the intense drive to achieve it.

    Fiji Study:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/20/world/study-finds-tv-alters-fiji-girls-view-of-body.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what everyone has said above! And since Jess mentioned Disney Princess movies I just wanted to share an experience of mine yesterday watching Cinderella. First off, it was interesting for me to learn that that movie, that I grew up watching as a child, was originally released in 1950. (Before my parents were even born!) A time where gender roles were strongly held in American culture. Second, I couldn't help but vocalize my outrage at the scene where the Prince sees Cinderella for the first time and INSTANTLY falls madly in love with her....before he ever even spoke to her! I get that this is supposed to relate to the whole "love at first sight" story but I don't think the prince would have noticed her to begin with if she hadn't been wearing that elaborate, glittery ball gown, and had her hair styled and looking all around gorgeous and prefect. The message to young girls is: look pretty and catch the eye of the man so that, before you know it, he'll be desperately in love with you and wanting to get married to you. You don't even have to say ANYTHING to him, beauty is all that matters.

    Okay, my rant is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog stood out to me for so many reasons. As I was reading I just kept agreeing with all the points you made. It made me think of when I was at my high school lunch table and my friends and I were looking at a magazine and it was giving "tips on how to be beautiful". I remember stating "who even made up what beautiful means?!" and my friend just pointed at the magazine. I never thought I would explore in depth the media in regards to beauty but here I am!

    In your blog you also said how many specific parts of a woman need to be a certain way and if you had all the "perfect" parts you'd look like frankenstein. That reminds me of Heidi Pratt, the star from The Hills tv show who got 10 procedures of plastic surgery at one time and completely transformed into another being. She received a lot of negative feedback even though the point of the surgeries were to become "perfect". Every part of her body was reshaped to match the perfect model body but the media made her out to be a Frankenstein. So I guess it's a lose-lose situation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second that, Rachel! After realizing that a major theme in The Little Mermaid is that you don't need a voice (or an opinion, intellect, autonomy, etc) to find true love (which is all that Disney women are here for), I haven't been able to see it in the same way. Ariel goes through most of the movie not being able to say a word and looks like a complete idiot raking forks through her hair, but she manages to snag Eric just because she's so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana, that study sounds really interesting and helps to explain exactly what I was talking about. The results do not shock me. However, I do find it incredible how the media has the ability to change the values of a whole society. It is a little scary. I agree with all of you that the themes in the Disney movies are shocking once you are old enough to understand it. Lots of people believe that Belle, from Beauty and the Beast, is the only Disney princess worth admiring because she reads and does not instantly fall in love with the prince, but she is just as problematic as the others. She does not instantly fall in love with the beast because he is considered ugly, making beauty and appearance the most important aspect in forming a relationship. Belle lacks all agency, she made fun of for reading (because she is a woman), and she is controlled by all the men around her. Bella is beautiful, thin and obedient which are all qualities of the feminine stereotype. Belle, like the other Disney princesses, represents perfection and a feminine ideal that is impossible to reach. Unfortunately, young girls are still watching these movies and starting at a young age to compare themselves to the perfection they see on the television screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another movie worth mentioning along the lines of this conversation is Thumbelina. Although it's not technically a Disney movie it essentially is one. It's an animated fairy tale story with music and fun songs, that a lot of us girls watched while growing up....oh yeah, and I also just watched it recently and it's full of gender and racial stereotypes. I even picked up on some pimp/prostitute relationships and suggestions of rape. (Yes I know it seems a little extreme but I was definitely wasn't the only one picking up on these undertones when watching this film last month.) I certainly didn’t pick up on any of this when I watched it as a child. But seeing it now it was actually….well, unsettling. Maybe I was just in an over critical mood at the time. But I don’t think that was the case since I still managed to thoroughly enjoy and sing along to all the great songs in the movie.

    Anyways, if you used to watch Thumbelina as a child I would suggest viewing it now and seeing how feel about the storyline. (I’d also be interested in knowing your reactions to it.)

    ReplyDelete