Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dietary or Die!!.....Or just be yourself.

I recently read the first two chapter of a book by Amy Farrell entitled Fat Shame. So far, this book has really revolutionized the way I think of fat in America. One of the things that hit me the most about this topic is the supposed war on fat and obesity that American culture has been fighting. But before I could really get my hands around grasping this topic, I had to become comfortable with saying the word “fat”. I’m not used to saying it; in fact the word “fat” had become something that I used a plethora of synonymous words so I wouldn’t have to. My discomfort with saying the word “fat,” parallels the discomfort that I believe many Americans have against fat people, in fact, the war on obesity or fatness in America doesn’t seem to be a war concerning fat but a war against fat people in America. The book makes this same distinction and I think this thought is revolutionary; many of the advertisements we see on television are dietary and deal with this obsession over this thinness that many people will not reach and should not feel pressured to.
            My first large concern is that the war on fat people is overwhelmingly winning. The fat ideal in America has been completely destroyed. Being fat in America used to symbolize wealth, now it’s a more of a symbol of poverty, in other places not including the U.S., being fat can even be seen as attractive. This obsession with being thin, without too much mention, has become deadly in some cases causing some fat people serious self-esteem issues as well as a host of other issues. Being fat shouldn’t be a problem because fat is perceptional, it’s mostly something we can see if we point it out but we can’t if we were to discuss it. Most people do not deserve the way they treat their bodies based on this obsession with being thin.
            Fat shouldn’t be looked down on so hard for a couple of really simple reasons. One of them being that just because one is “fat” doesn’t mean they aren’t healthy. This seems to be the biggest common misconceptions, even one I fell into believing until learning otherwise. I feel like the message of being thin is just pushed so far down our throats by the media that being okay with your weight if you are considered fat is seen as outlandish. For many reasons, I believe that this war on fat, should become a general health message about being comfortable with the body you’re in and if one is unhealthy and fat, to find options to get better (becoming thin may not be one of them) and to execute those options, instead of a money hungry dietary or die society that obsesses over the idea of being thin. The work some people put into being thin doesn't all seem to be worth it, especially if it produces no results, besides, wouldn't it be easier to just be yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Just as fat doesn't mean unhealthy, thin does not automatically translate to healthy. It's so confusing though, to open up the word fat to also be a healthy option. I feel like my whole life I've been socialized to look upon gaining weight and becoming "fat" as a great tragedy. Reading Amy Farrell's book is acting as a great eye opener. It's amazing how many health books I've read that immediately start an angry diatribe against the so called obesity epidemic. I've always totally been on board with the bashing of the modern American body. But the option that we're being pushed to skinny at any cost isn't much better.
    I think the one thing that I do question in Farrell's logic about the inaccuracies of the "obesity epidemic" is if we really do want to stop calling America's dramatic rise in weight gain a problem. I mean, it is a problem. It's not the fact that people are fat that is the problem. Fat stigma is the problem. But I do want to mention that I believe weight gain due to eating processed food is not a good thing.
    I just feel so conflicted! In some ways it's hard to let go of the idea that fat and unhealthy are intertwined, yet I know that as you say, being oneself is the best possible option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've hit the nail on the head concerning the war against fat (people). Fat has transitioned from a physical state to an emotional upheaval and socially constructed tragedy. Of course, even before the "obesity epidemic", fatness had social connotations, but this attack on fat in any form has only intensified these hostile sentiments. Its sad and frustrating to realize the way that political agendas and capitalism are played out/projected onto the body, an integral part of our identity. I wish I knew how to stop it...I suppose the best we can do is change our own thinking about fat/fat stigma and attempt to help others change theirs.

    ReplyDelete