Saturday, October 15, 2011

Revisiting the Fat-osphere

In my last post I discussed Tumblr's fat acceptance movement, which is composed of users that post words and images that aim to challenge popular notions of fat bodies' abilities and beauty. While I do believe that this movement is powerful and important, I know that I must address the obvious limitations.

The original "fat-opshere" post elicited two very important comments. Bridgette's comment addressed the movement's inability to change societal standards for beauty. Kimberly remarked on her surprise that the movement even existed, due to its lack of visibility in the portion of the Tumblr she is familiar with. Though very different observations, these comments seem to have the same underlying message -- the movement can be easily overlooked and therefore its message will be rendered ineffective.

In writing my previous approach to the fat acceptance movement, I may have been giving the Tumblr too much credit and power. I believed that in registering for the site, a user was granted citizenship into a unique community that provides a public space for the discussion of experiences, ideas and issues. I am now seeing that this community mimics our own society in the way that it can render fat experiences invisible.

Amy Erdman Farrell states that "the body signifies someone's fitness for citizenship," and I believe this to be true, especially in the Tumblr community. Users are allowed the right to speak, share and engage with other users on the site. When fat enters the picture, it seems that these rights disappear. This leaves the Fat Activist Movement preaching to the choir, being that their blogs aren't embraced by the Tumblr community as a whole.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm I wonder why so many sites and forums are opening their domains to the fatness issue, as if it is something new right now?

    You're right --- it takes something to gain traction, even on the interweb. I wonder why the fatness movement isn't moving as swiftly on the internet? It could be indicative of the general public and their ideals, but what does that say about it? That we don't care about fat issues? Perhaps --- maybe we're so caught up in poking at the troubles of being fat that we neglect the dangers of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this really fascinating because, although it's possibly because i don't have a tumblr, I had no idea that this existed! I tend to stand by the belief that any recognition is better than no recognition and so I group like this on one of the popular websites is great! Sure, it's not everything, just because it's on tumblr does not mean that everyone who goes onto that website will agree with or even acknowledge the significance of a fat acceptance group, but I do believe that the chances of SOMEONE seeing it and realizing its importance are quite high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting and I believe that you have brought up some good points on the issue. The fat-osphere, from how you explained it does seem to largley speak to an audience that already knows its issues and struggles. One of the transparent problems of this is that the fat community doesnt need to regurgitate the same information to themselves, all though this can be helpful, I feel as though if the fat-osphere is trying to raise awareness around fat issues, preaching to the choir isnt enough, the awareness needs to be raised around the people who dont know these issues. but, I'm sure that even though it seems hidden, truth has its way of seeping through eventually, even to those who are the most ignorant.

    ReplyDelete